IMPACT Frequently Asked Questions
- Who are the partners in IMPACT?
- What other projects/initiatives are you working with?
- I have a problem or query – How do I ask IMPACT for advice?
- Is IMPACT affiliated with Google?
- How will IMPACT improve OCR Recognition of historic texts?
- What is going to happen to IMPACT at the end of the project?
- What is the IMPACT Centre of Competence?
- How do I join the Centre of Competence?
- Can I reuse IMPACT material in my own project and presentations?
- I live/work outside the EU: can I still benefit from the project outputs?
- Do you provide consultation services?
- How do I join the mailing list?
Strategic and Technical FAQs
- What standards should I use for Image Capture?
- Should I digitise in colour, greyscale or bitonal?
- What file-types should I use at what point of workflow?
- When is it preferable to scan from microfilm?
- Is it better to digitise in-house or to outsource?
Optical Character Recognition
- What is OCR?
- We are planning a digitisation project: does OCR make sense?
- At what stage of the process should I carry out OCR?
- How do I measure OCR success?
- Will OCR quality be dependent on the image file-type and the amount of compression used?
- How do I measure OCR accuracy?
- What's the difference between character and word accuracy?
- When is it better to transcribe rather than to OCR?
- How do I process material which has more than one language?
Not answered your question?
If you have a question and it isn't answered here, please enter it into the IMPACT HelpDesk. We will be delighted to answer it as soon as we can and the answers will be used to help generate future FAQs.